Of course, you cannot expect to lose tens of pounds only by using cinnamon on a daily basis, but regular daily intake of cinnamon can and will certainly help you lose a few extra pounds. Cinnamon triggers weight loss with the help of these two mechanisms:
– Cinnamon controls blood sugar levels. Keeping your blood sugar levels in check is an essential element of weight loss. Depending on the food you eat, blood sugar levels increase more or less after a meal. When your blood sugar levels are increased, your body releases more insulin, which transports glucose, to cells so it can be used for energy. It also transports any extra glucose into fat storage.Compounds found in cinnamon can control these spikes.
– Cinnamon is also known by it’s thermogenic effects. When cinnamon is consumed, the body reacts chemically to digest the cinnamon. This reaction increases the metabolism in order to offset the extra heat that is occurring as a result of the cinnamon. When the metabolism speeds up, you are burning more calories and lose weight faster.
The polyphenols discovered in cinnamon seem to be capable of reversing the symptoms insulin resistance. Studies have demonstrated that subjects with metabolic syndrome that were administered a cinnamon extract experienced reduced fasting blood glucose levels, lower blood pressure, lower percent of body fat and higher lean body mass than the ones that were administered a placebo without cinnamon. Ingesting 1-6 grams of cinnamon daily for forty days was also found to reduce blood levels of glucose, total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol in people with type 2 diabetes. Finally, cinnamon extract was proven to improve fasting glucose levels, glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity in people with insulin resistance.
How can you use cinnamon for weight loss ?
– Probably the easiest way is to sprinkle it on your foods. Sprinkle it on your cereal, oatmeal or fruits in the morning or put some cinnamon in your tea or coffee. You can even sprinkle some cinnamon on your yogurt and milk.
– Drink a honey and cinnamon mixture. Mix a teaspoon of cinnamon in a cup of boiled water. Let it cool off for 15 minutes and then add a teaspoon of honey to the mix. You should drink this mixture first thing in the morning. The honey and cinnamon mixture will reduce the risk of heart conditions, reduce cholesterol, and help you lose weight by making you feel fuller for longer period of time and suppressing appetite.
– Use cinnamon oils in milk, smoothies or tea.